One of the most fantastic rewards of having casks to play with is the ability to make sour beers. A cask is the perfect vessel to keep micro organism cultures happy. There is always a little oxygen sneaking into casks and our friends Lactobacillus and Peddiococcus love that. In many ways, preventing them from developing in casks can be an exercise in futility, but I am taking steps in three casks (Scotch Casks, Blaton’s Bourbon cask, and Evan Williams bourbon cask) which will be a future post. One of my casks, the rye cask, has been giving off some winey characteristics in the beers aging and I felt like it was about time to push this one over the edge.
A while back, I made a beer based off of a Westvelren 12 Quad. I have 5 gallons currently lagering for eternity… planning on waiting until December (12 months old) to pull it out at taste it. I also had 1.5 extra gallons of the base quad that was fermented separately from the other 5 gallons using Chardonnay yeast. Both beers clock in around 11.5 % ABV. I wasn’t planning on souring this beer, but i am finished looking at this beer sitting, I MADE IT TO EXPERIMENT DAMMIT!
The next part of this cask souring experience comes from an endeavor that was way to long in the making. The Homemade wine, Pony Vino, that my room-mate Tom and I made about a year ago was finally bottled a few weeks ago. The wine is okay, kinda like a sweet red, but drinkable.
Unfortunately, when we bottled the wine, my math was stupid and I ran out of wine bottles with about a gallon left over…
Then my worlds came together in a fantastic moment of clarity. The wine went right into the Quad, followed with a good 3 ounces of Fantome De Noel
a splendid beer that was a gift my friend Degal gifted me.
The fermentor bubbled for two weeks before I got around to playing with the casks, so I’m counting on micro’s munching away in there. I’m planning on pitching a commercial bought micro blend within the week to throw into the cask as well.
So far, things are pretty crazy on this beer, but was I done? no way! Every summer, there is this totally awesome fig tree that grows in my neighbor’s backyard, and no one EVER picks the figs. This last summer I felt like it was a duty of mine to do something more with those lovely fruits than simply feed the birds, so I picked about a pound and froze them. I had planned to put them into the Quad when it was done fermenting, but I left in the freezer until now. I also had 2 packages of Blackberries frozen, so I just put them all together into this project.
I defrosted the fruit, cooked them for about 15 min, mushing them up the whole time, and then blended them in my blender. Once they cooled, I tossed the puree into the cask after the beer.
I think I have been reading the madfermentationist way to much lately, but I’m very excited about where this beer will go. Updates to come!